Grab some more popcorn and get ready for the first YouTube video showing the disassembly of a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery!
Video introduction at 0:00
Corrections to battery removal video at 0:43
Charger connections at the battery at 1:00
Undercar aerodynamic cover at 3:19
Removal of battery upper cover at 5:19
Battery cover seal removal at 7:24
Battery inside views at 8:00
Removal of large 2-wire connector at 12:27
Removal of Battery Disconnect Relay Center Cover at 13:29
Removal of charger connector at 13:39
Removal of Battery Disconnect Relay Center at 14:20
Removal of coolant from the battery at 18:50
Removal of internal coolant hoses at 27:40
Preparation for removal of battery section 5 at 29:38
Connections at the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) at 30:20
Removal of internal wire harnesses at 34:04
Removal of Service Disconnect lever connector at 38:44
Removal of BECM at 39:33
Removal of battery bus bars at 40:00
Removal of battery section 5 cover at 43:16
MUST-SEE: True battery kWh rating at 44:25
Stabilization of battery before removal of sections at 46:42
MUST-SEE: Removal of battery section 5 at 50:42
Battery thermal conduction mats at 53:00
A closer look at battery section 5 at 53:48
Removal of battery section 1 at 57:15
Removal of battery section 2 at 1:06:35
Removal of battery section 5 cooling plate at 1:08:30
Spilling coolant on myself at 1:11:35
MUST-SEE: Warning about battery section 2 at 1:14:24
Removal of battery section 3 at 1:14:53
Removal of battery section 4 at 1:15:20
MUST-SEE: View underneath battery section 4 at 1:21:13
Removal of 4 cross-braces at 1:21:57
Removal of the large cooling plate at 1:26:10
MUST-SEE: View of the underneath of large coolant plate at 1:30:04
Removal of insulation pads at 1:30:46
Removal of final connector bracket at 1:33:08
Video review at 1:33:55
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV 350.4V Li-Ion Battery Disassembly - A Youtube first!
Weber State University (WSU) - Department of Automotive Technology - Ardell Brown Technology Wing - Transmission Lab.
This is the second is a series of videos on the Chevrolet Bolt EV. This episode covers the disassembly of the 57kWh 350.4 volt 162.7 Ah battery from a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV. The components and operation shown will be similar to many other electric vehicles.
This video helps cover content related to the 2017 National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) Master Automobile Service Technology (MAST) Standard task 1.A.9 "Identify service precautions related to service of the internal combustion engine of a hybrid vehicle."
W.S.U is a leader in Hybrid and Electric Vehicle education. This topic is taught as part of our 4-year bachelor's degree program. For information joining the Weber Automotive program, visit: http://www.weber.edu/automotive
This video was created and edited by Professor John D. Kelly at WSU. [email protected]
For a full biography, see http://www.weber.edu/automotive/J_Kelly.html
1. What is the function of the battery Relay Center?
2. How is the temperature of Chevrolet Bolt EV controlled?
3. How is coolant to be removed from the Chevrolet Bolt EV battery?
4. What is the function of the BECM?
5. What is the service warning about disconnecting the wire harnesses at the BECM?
6. What is the meaning of the black color on some internal wiring harnesses?
7. What is the meaning of the orange color on some internal wiring harnesses?
8. What is the function of the bus bars?
9. How is the battery modules connected (series or parallel)?
10. How are the battery sections to be removed?
11. What is the function of the white mat under each battery section?
12. What is the total kWh rating of this battery?
13. Are the individual battery sections interchangeable? Why or Why not?
14. Was all the coolant removed from the cooling plates before removing the plates?
15. Tell me one thing you learned from this video that you thought was interesting?