Please note that while this content is broadly applicable, it was originally intended for a Canadian audience.
You can't compare rent to a mortgage payment. This way of thinking about the rent versus buy decision is extremely flawed. Comparing a mortgage payment to rent is not an apples to apples comparison. In order to properly assess the rent versus buy decision, we need to compare the total *unrecoverable costs* of renting to the total unrecoverable costs of owning.
That may sound like a complicated task, but I have boiled it down to a simple calculation.
Read up on more investing advice, insights and white papers here.
Follow Ben Felix on
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/benjaminwfelix
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/benjaminwfelix/
Follow PWL Capital on:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/PWLCapital
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PWLCapital
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/pwl-capital/
You can find the Rational Reminder podcast on