Whether it’s rotten cheese consumed by maggots, or mysterious brownies that make you really sleepy, here are foods you’re not allowed to eat in the US
Subscribe to American Eye http://goo.gl/GBphkv
6. Mirabelle Plum Don’t get caught acting suspicious around the police if you got a few of these illegal plums stashed on you! These plums you see here are grown only in the Lorraine region of France and people from the US won’t get to taste them unless they travel to western europe. You’re probably thinking, “what’s the big deal”? They’re just plums for crying out loud not an endangered species or anything. It’s somewhat of a mystery why exactly they’re banned but the answer seems to come down to money. In order to protect the financial income of the eastern province in France, most countries have agreed not to sell them. It’s a little bit similar to how we have to have the differences between Champagne and Sparkling water. Whatever the reason exactly might be, you aren’t allowed to eat them, cuz we said so!
5. Unpasteurized Milk Most of the milk we drink and the cheese we eat must go through a process known as pasteurization first before we consume it. The process was introduced by Louis Pasteur in the 1860’s and This kills the bacteria and other microbes which would be harmful for consumption . not only that but this allows for it to be stored on the shelf longer. Although some states allow the sale for raw milk 17 states have banned it. Those who are in favor of non pasteurization claim that the milk loses many of its nutrients once it goes through the process. But those who claim pasteurized milk is the way to go state that too many diseases are spread from just raw milk. In any case, it is probably best not to drink raw milk unless it’s from the mom to the offspring
4. Lazy Cakes This cakes are banned in arkansas and strangely enough, they might actually make you feel lazy. The brownies are laced with melatonin and are known to cause severe drowsiness. Melatonin is often used as an over the counter sleep supplement and typically isn’t found in our food. Rumors went on full effect when people started saying that they put some type of synthetic cannabis substance in there but in any case they will make people sleepy. Maybe people who sell them don’t realize they’re not your average brownie, and you have to kind of read the fine print to find out.
3. Pig’s Blood Cake Who on Earth would eat something that sounds this horrifying? If you guessed the Taiwanese, good job! Pig’s blood cake has been banned in the US due to sanitary reasons and whatever other reason they find is fine by me. No need to guess what the secret ingredient is with this one. It’s basically like a street food delicacy that’s made with soy broth, sticky rice and oh yeah, pigs blood! The rice is then dipped in blood and deep fried. Other ingredients might be used to coat the deep fried pig blood on a stick but once you eat it, you have to live with yourself! Supporters of the treat claim there is no sanitary issues with the preparation process but it’s still banned here!
2. Conch Queen This beautiful shellfish becomes actually pretty tasty once you open it up and eat it. The conch queen is a banned food in the US to import mostly because overfishing threatens its existence. It’s actually more like a giant sea snail which has a very sturdy shell. The caribbean is the main exporter of conch meat to the us and demand for it quite high and the US is responsible for 80 percent of the consumption of this endangered creature.
Purple Mangosteen One forbidden fruit that you probably shouldn’t eat or at least be aware of is the purple mangosteen. This is a highly sought after fruit which which a delicacy in thailand must be destroyed completely if it’s found in the US! The problem isn’t that it’s a rare fruit or anything but the goal isr to keep the asian fruit fly out, which is responsible for complete destruction of some crops. The tropical species has already wreaked havoc on the state of Florida and we don’t want this thing in our country! It’s been notorious for attacking over 400 different species of fruits and vegetables.