Shaykh Dr. Yasir Qadhi talks about our spiritual aim to leave a good legacy by leveraging our time on earth to do good deeds.
Dr. Qadhi gives three necessary ingredients to leave an endowment that benefits our self and our brothers and sisters in faith and humanity:
1. Ikhlas or Sincerity – Our Niyyah has to be to please Allah SWT and not the people of this world.
2. Humility – Whoever humbles himself for the sake of Allah will have his status elevated by Allah SWT. We also understand the concept of Ihsaan – giving more than what is required to give and are content with obtaining something less than that which is expected.
3. Sabr or Patience – consistency of performing good deeds is possible only if one inculcates and imbibes Sabr in his life. It is a necessary trait.
Dr. Yasir also pays homage to great American-Muslim scholars such as Dr. Ahmad Sakr, Dr. Jamal Badawi, and Imam Siraj Wahhaj.
- Watch others guests who spoke at this event "In the Footsteps of Giants" like Imam Zaid Shakir, Imam Omar Suleiman, Imam Mohamed Magid, and Dr. Rania Awaad at: https://mcceastbay.org/footsteps
- More special guests hosted at the MCC: http://mcceastbay.org/guests
- More highly-viewed recordings on this channel: http://mcceastbay.org/popular
Dr. Abu Ammaar Yasir Qadhi delivered this talk at the Muslim Community Center - East Bay (MCC East Bay) in Pleasanton, California on Sunday, October 14, 2018.
About the Speaker:
Shaykh Yasir Qadhi, PhD, is the Dean of Academic Affairs at AlMaghrib Institute. He is one of the few people who has combined a traditional Eastern Islamic seminary education with a Western academic training of the study of Islam.
Shaykh Yasir graduated with a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston, after which he was accepted as a student at the Islamic University of Madinah. After completing a diploma in Arabic, he graduated with a B.A. from the College of Hadith and Islamic Sciences, and then completed a M.A. in Islamic Theology from the College of Dawah. He then returned to America, and completed a PhD in Religious Studies from Yale University.
He has authored several books, published academic articles, and appeared on numerous satellite and TV stations around the globe. His online videos are of the most popular and highly-watched Islamic videos in English.
Shaykh Yasir Qadhi was a resident Scholar of the Memphis Islamic Center. He is also a professor at Rhodes College, in the Department of Religious Studies.
Shaykh Yasir also gave a condensed version of this talk. Watch at: https://youtu.be/uTVd_O7064c
Video description from that talk:
"Have you ever thought when the time is going to come when your legacy is going to be remembered? After we have passed away, there will still be loved ones such as family and friends. Our names will be mentioned for sure, but for what legacy? Something good or bad?
Did you know that our father Ibrahim(A.S) made a Du’a to Allah to have a beautiful legacy? It is mentioned in the Quran; “Oh Allah, give me the tongues that are pure to remember me in the later days” Scholars mention that the tongues which are pure that remember him, is the positive legacy that Ibrahim for all of mankind.
It is a part of Islam to want to leave a legacy that is positive and productive, long after you have passed away. Allah will record what you’ve done, and Allah will record the legacy that you will leave behind."
More MCC East Bay:
Events & Activities: http://www.mcceastbay.org/calendar
Weekly Updates: http://www.mcceastbay.org/newsletter
Support MCC: https://www.mcceastbay.org/sadaqa